Blogs > Lighten Up with Lisa

Lisa Scheer, of Mentor, has a big goal for the contest - to get off her diabetes medicine. The 54-year-old will be working out hard in hopes of getting back into size-12 clothes.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Addressing positive and negative comments

We are all doing our best to get healthy. It has been a long road for me. In July 2009 I was tipping the scales at nearly 250 pounds and was extremely unhappy and totally exhausted carrying that weight on my five foot eight inch frame. This is the first time I have gone public with that weight as I was quite ashamed that I let myself go. I actually felt I was going to drop dead from diabetes. I was taking mass quantities of several types of insulin and blood pressure meds and still  was gaining weight and my blood sugar was out of control. I was stuffing my face with junk food 24/7. I totally neglected myself and everything around me. 
I remember when I was overweight I would go into clothing stores. Either the salesperson would immediately come up to me to see what I wanted maybe thinking I can't fit in any clothes and would try to take them or they would totally ignore me. Now I am finally treated like a human being when I shop. Talk about discrimination!  I was like the "fat girl" no one would date until I lost weight and then I was in the "in crowd".
It has taken some time to get to where I currently weigh now. I still have weight to lose to my goal and then there is maintenance....it will be eating in a way that will sustain me for the rest of my natural life. 
Many of my friends congratulate me on my successes so far and applaud me in my continued journey. A few however "think" I have lost enough and are too thin. They are aware that I have diabetes and complications from that disease could end my life. Although many say I am pretty good with a "comeback", I am at a loss for words when addressing the negative comments. Any suggestions?
All I want to be is healthy, free from diabetes, and happy. Is that asking too much?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home